Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Knowing

I still don't exactly know about Knowing staring Nicolas Cage. I'm trying to wrap my head around what that movie was about. Because I can see what the attempt was, but also how poorly executed all the necessary tidbits were to craft it as the ultimate end-of-the-world wrapped in psychological thriller movie.

First things first, can anyone explain to me if those creepy men were Pentecostal [referring to the Christian denomination] aliens or disturbing angels? I cannot decide, but if it's angels, then I'm sure I don't want to encounter one, because it just might kidnap my [still non-existent] child and hijack my car out to some remote part of the forest, only to convince me that my theological opinion was wrong, and to redeem it must be perfectly cool with said creeper-alien/angel taking my kid. In regard to the "happy ending," I'm not sure Heaven is an Avatar world [meaning all CG with a big glowing tree] where we frolic in white linen with other missing children, and for that my vote is for alien. Just the fact that Biblical references [that I am aware of due to my own beliefs] were mixed into a sci-fi movie did not make me feel like there were really any "aha!" moments, it felt more like a gimmick.

Dismal: Nicolas Cage's ability to show emotion. Monotone drone.... I really like him in character roles [Kickass], but the concerned "normal" father just doesn't suit him.

Since I can't really put a finger on much of the movie I'll just say this: I kept expecting something more exciting, surprising or horrendous to happen. While I didn't predict most of the twists, I wasn't stupefied when they came. Even though I don't like thrillers/horror movies I think I would've liked this one a lot more had it been one.

5/10. No, I'd never watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment